University: ‘‘Institut Polytechnique Rural de Formation et de Recherche Appliquée (IPR/IFRA), Bamako, Mali’’.
Research area: Agricultural economics
Tell us about the experience.
Which activities have you participated within the RARSUS project?
I’ve participated in the administration of my interview guide in seven villages of the koutiala district that are the next one: wolobougou village, N’gountjina village, Famissasso village, Basso village, N’tiesso village, Bougoro village, N’gourosso and also I’ve administrated my study questionnaire in the study area (Basso village has been chosen among the seven villages investigated. There are two reasons that explain this choice: lack of water and lack of land).
After these steps, I made econometrical and statistical analysis on the data collected under the supervision of Dr Amadou SIDIBE and of Dr Felix BADOLO.
What is your role within the project? What outcomes are you responsible for?
I’m a master scholar within the project.
I’m responsible for answering my study research questions that are the following:
- What are the effects of the agriculture mechanization on the agricultural production and the food security in Mali?
- What are the trajectories of agriculture intensification in the Koutiala district?
- What are the effects of the agriculture mechanization on the food and the nutrition of the producers in the Koutiala district?
- What are the effects of the agriculture mechanization on the incomes of the producers in the Koutiala district?
What is your research topic?
My research topic is about the Analysis of agriculture intensification effects on sorghum farmer livelihoods in the Koutiala district.
My specific objectives: In a specific way, my study consists to:
- Understand the trajectories of agriculture intensification in Koutiala district
- Analyze the effects of the agriculture mechanization on food consumption
- Analyze the effects of the agriculture mechanization on farm incomes
My research hypotheses: the study has three hypotheses that are the following:
- Sorghum farmers applying agricultural mechanization increase their agricultural productivity
- Agriculture mechanization improves household food security
- Application of agriculture mechanization increases farm incomes.
Tell us about the research you are going to attend
The research I’m going to attend is to analyse the effects of agricultural mechanization in agricultural production. The econometrical analysis and statistical analysis will be used to analyze the two types of data collected: the primary data and the secondary data. The aims of these analysis will be to know what are the effects of agricultural mechanization in agricultural production.
What are the achievement you have made so far within the project?
The achievement I have made so far within the project are the following:
- Agricultural mechanization has been identified as one of the options to reduce the negative impact of agricultural weak productivity.
- This study identified the variables of the mechanization used by the peasants and analyzed the obstacles that limit the peasants to adopt the agricultural mechanization in the zone of survey.
- The econometrical analysis and statistical analysis have been used to analyze the two types of data gotten: the primary data and the secondary data. The econometrical analysis and statistical analysis showed that the variables of the mechanization have a positive effect on the agricultural production and productivity in Koutiala. The analysis of the perceptions of the peasants in Basso concerning the mechanization also showed that it increases the output, clears a commercial surplus, has a positive effect on the fertility of soil and that it valorizes the human effort. In addition to it, the analysis of the obstacles related to the adoption of the agricultural mechanization in the study area (village of Basso) indicates that there are 4 factors that threaten the adoption of the agricultural mechanization. These factors are the next one: the cost raised of the variables of the mechanization, the financial capital lack, the lack of formation and the weak outputs. It is thus important that policy makers illuminate the peasants more on the advantages of the mechanization concerning the agricultural production and productivity of crops.
RARSUS project for me is………………….
is a very good opportunity to achieve my research goals. It really gives to me the opportunity making deep, strong and quality investigations in my field area (agricultural economics) through undertaking the realist approach as the methodology gait of my study.
The realist approach is a practice of research assessment that seems adapted better to the requirements of the movement of the decision making or the action founded on the scientific proofs (Pawson, 2006).
It is more practical than other methods because it aims understanding things, I mean it aims understanding intervention, the context of intervention and its effects.
RARSUS project provides to me financial support that really allows me to make strong investigation in the field based on a scientific proof.
It also provides me technical support through the supervision of Dr Emmanuel Cheo that has been really profitable for me.